Chemical Science Mid-term Review
You should study the following chapters
chap 1: 1.1, 1.2 &
chap 10: 10.1, chap 2: 2.1, 2.1 & Chap. 7: 7.1, chap 3: 3.1, 3.2 & Chap 7: 7.2
& Chap 8: 8.1
****Be sure to study
all vocabulary words from these sections.
What you should
classified according to Composition, structure and behavior. Explain.
mass, properties, quantitative, qualitative, substance)
What do the energy
sublevels and orbits within the atom have to do with each other.
What is meant by
examining Matter the macroscopic view?
What is meant by
examining matter the submicroscopic view?
vs. mixture vs. compound
- Physical changes (physical properties)
- Two kinds of mixtures: heterogeneous, homogeneous
- solution, alloys, solute, aquaeous solution, solvent
- What is an element? How are elements organized?
- Compounds are more than one element. (formula)
- How do you identify matter by its properties?
(physical properties, chemical properties)
- compare characteristics of States of matter (solid,
- chemical properties and changes ( chemical properties,
chemical change, chemical reaction)
- What do atoms have to do with chemical change? (law of
conservation of mass)
- What do chemical reactions and energy have to do with
each other? (energy, endothermic, exotherimic)
- What does the kinetic theory of matter have to do with
solid, liquid and gases
- amorphous material vs. liquid crystal vs. plasma
- what were the early ideas about the model of the atom
(proustís contribution, the greeks, Daltonís Atomic theory)
- Explain the modern view of the atom. (electrons,
neutrons, protons, isotopes)
- What is the Rutherfordís Gold Foil Experiment
- How can you find the atomic number? How about mass
- Explain the atomic structure through out time.
(Dalton, Thomson, Rutherford, Bohrís Modern)
- What do the valence electrons have to do with the